Our Laboratory in Ireland has been carrying out investigative testing on equines for thirty years, and is today a leading authority in this field. There are a number of different test panels available.
For both owners and breeders of Thoroughbred and Non-Thoroughbred horses, correct parentage information is vital for both breeding planning and ensuring the integrity of the animal identity.
The Laboratory uses a panel of 17 internationally recognised microsatellite DNA markers for routine parentage verification which can be supplemented by a secondary panel of 14 markers to assist with problematic cases.
Prevention and diagnosis of jaundice foal syndrome by checking of mare’s blood and colostrum for antibodies
– Risk Categorisation – All mares can be categorised based on specific blood groups into High, Moderate or Low risk of producing a foal affected by Neonatal Isoerythrolysis (N.I. or jaundice foal syndrome). There is no such category as a “no risk” category.
– Antibody identification – Mares who have been categorised, or who have a history of NI, can be screened prenatally for the presence of antibodies in their blood which are associated with NI. Postnatally, mares blood and colostrum can be screened and cross matched with the foal’s red blood cells to see if the antibodies that are present will affect the foal.
Archived microsatellite DNA profiles held on the database provide an excellent resource for pedigree searching, investigations and resolution of incorrect parentage records.
Used to detect chromosomal abnormalities, and is recommended for animals that present with reproductive problems.
– Blue eyed cream (B.E.C) screening for Connemara ponies;
– Tobiano testing for coloured horses (Homozygosity Test);
– Base coat colour testing i.e. Red factor and Agouti;
– Lethal white Overo testing;
– Grey coat.
– Other coat colours available on request
Hoof Wall Separation Disease (HWSD) in Connemara ponies
Cerebellar Abiotrophy (CA) and Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) for Arabian Horses.
Other tests are available on request.
The lab also assists in the investigation of animal biological material as evidence in legal matters.