Genetic tests for domestic cats
Weatherbys Scientific has been a trusted name for thoroughbred horse genetic testing and parental verification since 1985. Our parent company has operated in the equine industry since 1770. We are now proud to offer genetic testing and parentage verification for domestic cats. We believe that we offer the highest levels of customer service, rigorous quality and value for money to cat owners, prospective buyers and breeders.
Weatherbys Scientific and our partners are ISO 17925 certified, Accredited by International Committee for Animal Recording (ICAR) and members of the International Society for Animal Genetics (ISAG).
Below you will find a popular selection of our tests for cats. Please contact us to discuss your needs including a range of additional speciality tests available.
Cat results are normal returned within 25 days of receipt. VGX770865 CombiBreed(tm) Genetic Diseases can be reported in 12 days. Samples of Blood EDTA, Blood Heparin, Swab or Tissue required. We encourage our customers to use Buccal (cheek) swabs to collect DNA samples, they do not need a veterinarian and we can supply a simple kit with instructions.
Parentage verification of offspring against one nominated Dam and one nominated Sire. Turn around time 17 days from sample receipt. Semen, Blood EDTA, Blood Heparin and Tissue samples accepted.
Order Product Code: VGX770200
Price EUR 36, GBP 31, USD 45
This combination package includes tests for the most common genetic diseases found in cats:
• K386 Mucopolysaccharidosis I
• K504 Periodic paralysis (WNK4 – Hypokalemia)
• K597 Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
• K598 Dihydropyrimidinase Deficiency
• K599 Hyperlipoproteinaemia
• K600 Niemann-Pick C1 Disease
• K601 Primary Hyperoxaluria II
• K640 Gangliosidosis, GM2, type II – 1
• K641 Vitamin D-deficiency rickets, type I
• K646 Gangliosidosis, GM2, GM2A
• K647 Gangliosidosis, GM2, type II – 2
• K649 Hypothyroidism
• K650 Mucopolysaccharidosis VII
• K651 Mucopolysaccharidosis VI
• K656 Haemophilia B – 1
• K657 Haemophilia B – 2
• K711 Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
• K725 Hypertrophic Cardio Myopathy 1 (HCM1)
• K751 Glycogentoxicosis GSD Type IV
• K754 Pyruvaatkinase Deficiency (PKDef)
• K762 Progressive Retinal Atrophy (rdAc-PRA)
• K767 Spinal Muscular Atrophie (SMA)
• K793 Bloodtyping AB (DNA test)
• K799 Hypertrophic Cardio Myopathy 3 (HCM3)
Order Product Code: VGX770865
Price EUR 57, GBP 49, USD 71
Determination of hair length (Fibroblast Growth Factor 5) mutations all breeds and breed specific mutations in Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest and Ragdoll breeds
Order Product Code: VGX770460
Price EUR 67, GBP 57, USD 82
This Combination Pack Coat Colour covers several important genetic traits:
• K639 Coat Colour E locus, extension
• K755 Coat Colour Cinnamon
• K756 Coat Colour Chocolate
• K757 Coat Colour Agouti
• K758 Coat Colour Siamese
• K759 Coat Colour Burmese
• K760 Coat Colour Dilution
Order Product Code: VGX770866
Price EUR 67, GBP 57, USD 82
All of the cats or images featured on this page belong to Weatherbys staff. A big thank you to Lindsey Tibbetts (Sid’s owner) Steven Couves, Clare Lewis, Viv Buckby, Bailey Gale, Aidan Martin, Michael White, Amy Tibbitts, Adrian Howes, Philippa Richardson, Andrew Bubeer, Jade Fitzhugh, Natalie Johnson, Kirsten Chantrell, Jade Fitzhugh, Katie Wellborn, Jacqui Smyth, Jay Lucas, Pauline Cundall and all the cats for posing.